Posting Rebuild - Posting Guide
In the latest release, we have completely redesigned the payment posting process in OfficeEMR. There are several things we feel are important to bring to your attention regarding payment posting, as your day-to-day processes will change. You can find a video outlining the information for payment posters here.
- We’ve created two new windows, Deposits and Posting.
- Deposits will be where you create any new deposits (ERA imports, statement payments, manual EOBs, or patient payment batches), as well as enter any needed information for manual EOB’s, fix any deposit errors, and send deposits to posting.
- Posting is where you’ll fix any errors that arose in the auto-posting process that the system performs.
- We’ve improved the auto-posting process to minimize what your team needs to manually review, even as we make it more clear when items need to be worked.
- We’ve improved the level of adjustment detail you can find on posted payments. This will give you more granularity on what happens to different claims in the posting process, as well as help your billers as they research unpaid claims.
What doesn’t change?
- You will still go through your normal process of finding work items that need to be addressed on the billing wheel.
What do I need to know?
The most important thing you need to know is that the Payments screen has been completely replaced by the 'Deposits' and 'Posting' screens. The Payments screen--renamed Payments (Legacy)--should not be used going forward, but it is still available for reference.
The billing wheel has also been updated with specific tasks to help you find what you need to work in the new system.
The posting section of the billing wheel has been expanded to now display New Deposits, Receipts, and Deposit Errors.
These new sections were designed to assist you in following the new deposit workflows which include Reviewing New Deposits, Sending Deposits to Posting, and Working Deposit Errors.
Reviewing New Deposits
When clicking to view any of the new deposit sub-sections you will be taken to the new deposit screen showing you deposits with New status that have not yet been disbursed.
From this screen you will be able to quickly review your deposits, resolve deposit errors, and send them to posting. Double clicking on any deposit will open up the deposit details window.
On this screen you are able to review and resolve deposit errors, verify posting data, edit claim posting data, ignore the deposit, reset the deposit, and send this deposit to posting.
Working Deposit Errors
From the billing wheel, if you click to view Deposit Errors you will be taken to the same deposit screen, filtered to only display the deposits with errors on them. These errors include (but are not limited to) payer mismatches and provider- or claim-level adjustments.
In order to send the deposit to the posting process, you will need to first resolve any errors. This is done by clicking the Resolve button in the Action column for each error. Once clicked you will be provided with a screen to assist you in resolving the error.
In this case you have the option of either ignoring the error or searching for and linking the payer for the deposit. Once linked, the Action column for the error will change to show Resolved.
Once all errors have been resolved you are ready to click Send to Posting.
Creating a New Deposit
The full document for creating a deposit can be found here.
The steps involved are out lined below:
- Open the Deposit window
- Click the New button on the toolbar
- Select the deposit type and enter your deposit details
- Add claims to deposit, if relevant (find more information here)
- Add corresponding payments and adjustments, if relevant (find more information here)
- Click Send to Posting
Sending Deposits to Posting
Once you have reviewed your deposit and determined that pressing errors are resolved and it's ready to be posted, you need to click the 'Send to Posting' button. This will send the deposit to the processing queue. When the deposit is processed, associated payments will be applied according to your practice's settings, and any posting errors will show up in the "Posting Errors" section under "Post" on the Billing Wheel.
You can find more information about sending deposits to posting here.
Resolving Posting Errors
Once you have sent deposits to the posting process, you can click "Post" on the Billing Wheel and go to "Posting Errors." This will bring you to a screen displaying all transactions that have been through the auto-posting process, but that couldn't be completed due to errors that arose.
Clicking on any line will open the Claim Details window. From here, you can click "Resolve" next to any claim error to fix any issues found during the posting process. Once complete, you can hit "Post Claim" to finish posting the associated payments.
You can find more information about fixing errors here.