Q. How do I post a returned (NSF) check to a patient's account?
A. There are two steps to the process: putting the money back on the claim/account, and adding an NSF fee (if appropriate).
- Open the Patient Transaction History for the appropriate patient.
- Select the claim(s) where the payment was returned.
- Right-click over the Claim Number at the top right of the screen, and select Add Payment.
- Enter the Deposit Date (either the current date or the date the check was returned) and select "Responsible Party" in the Paid By field.
- Skip the Payment line entirely.
- On the Adjustment line, enter a positive dollar amount for the amount of the returned check. Select the Adjustment Type "Returned Check" and click Post.
- Repeat for each procedure line/claim as needed.
- Double-click the claim to open it.
- Go to the first blank line at the bottom of the procedures and enter the appropriate dummy code for the practice's NSF fee as a new procedure on the claim. (A new claim with this code may be created if preferred.) If there is not already a dummy code for this purpose, you can add one following these instructions. The Charge should be the amount that the practice charges for returned checks.
- Repeat for each claim as needed.